Abstract : Background and Aim: Hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection is a leading cause of morbidity and mortality worldwide. Healthcare workers are a high-risk group. Vaccination is the most effective defense against the virus. This study investigated the uptake of Hepatitis B vaccination among healthcare workers at the Federal Teaching Hospital, Ido-Ekiti, Nigeria. Methods: A structured questionnaire was used to collect the socio-demographic data and responses of 100 consenting clinical staff of the institution on the subject matter and the data was analyzed using the SPSS version 21.0 software package. Results: A total of 100 respondents participated in the study; 40(40.0%) males and 60(60.0%) females, with a male to female ratio of 1:1.5. The age range of the participants was 20 – 59years with a mean(±SD) of 38.3±11.0 years. Fifty-eight(58%) of the study participants had received at least a dose of the Hepatitis B vaccine while the remaining 42(42%) of the participants had not received any dose of the vaccine. The number of doctors who had received the Hepatitis B vaccine was significantly higher than that of non-doctors(p = 0.015). Age above 40 years, female gender, Good knowledge of Hepatitis B and being a doctor are positive predictors of vaccine uptake. Conclusion: Hepatitis B vaccine uptake rate in this study is low when compared to similar studies in Nigeria and the vaccination completion rate in this study is even much lower.

Volume and Issue
Full Article Download